This is a healthy update on a favorite Mexican inspired brunch. Adding vegetables means you can use less tortillas and still have great texture, while making this dish even more flavorful!
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 2 small corn tortillas, broken or cut into triangle pieces
- green peas and/or green or yellow string beans
- 1/4 yellow onion, sliced very thinly
- vegetable or grapeseed oil
- jalepeno (optional) - small piece chopped finely
- Mexican green salsa in a jar (Trader Joe's makes a good salsa verde)
- sour cream
Heat oil in a pan. Add tortillas. Brown on both sides. Add jalepeno and veggies. Cook a couple minutes then add salsa verde. Stir until mixed together. Make sure all is spread evenly on pan, then crack eggs over top, careful not to break yolks! Add lid and turn heat to low. Cook until eggs are to your liking.
Serve in bowl or on plate. Place onion slices on top, and garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
Variations: You can make this with cooked chicken instead of eggs for an early dinner dish. Cheese is an optional addition.